Monday, August 25, 2014

Background check update

Taking a moment during lunch to write a quick update.

I've been waiting all this time to hear back on the background check involved with obtaining a CAC. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on what their answer will be) the only word I've received so far is that the process has been suspended, due to them being unable to read certain hand written information on my form. I don't have the best hand writing and was under stress when filling out the form. The specific information that they wanted me to redo for clarity was the circumstances of the felony charge. Specifically, the investigators want me to more clearly write what city/state the charges took place in and the address of the court involved with the charges. I have since submitted a typed out form today which will more clearly show this information (during the first attempt I was unable to access a computer at the time and the USCG personnel needed the form filled out).

This focus by them on my criminal record doesn't quite confirm whether they will approve or deny my request for a CAC, but it certainly isn't a good sign. My concern isn't necessarily whether they will deny based on just the felony, since it did happen back in 2006 and not recent, but that they will likely deny me due to the 20 years good behavior hanging over my head. In fact it is a good bet they will deny the access card based on that 20 years good behavior, since that might be considered to be nearly equivalent to still being in custody of the state.

Just within this year I've been hammered at all sides due to this felony charge. I was denied a place to rent by two leasing companies thanks to the felony. Now I'm at risk of suddenly losing my job thanks to it. That isn't an exaggeration either. There was one new designer for the company I work for who was denied a CAC request last year by the USCG - he no longer works for the company. Roughly 80% or more of our work comes from the USCG, so being unable to obtain a CAC means that I can't do 80% of the work my company does. Why would they keep around someone who can only do 20% or less of what gives the company an income? If the USCG denies me not on the basis of the felony charge but instead on the 20 years good behavior, this means that the company can't just 'wait it out' a couple more years until I pass the 10 year mark where the charge no longer needs to be recorded on the form.

An additional, though certainly much more minor of an issue, is the fact I recently was told I won't be able to take part in a specific activity due to this felony. One of the organizations I intended to join prior to my legal difficulties of 2006 was the Civil Air Patrol (CAP). This was an opportunity to obtain a pilots license and flight time much more cheaply than doing it alone, while at the same time contributing to such things as search and rescue. I spoke with someone involved with the CAP that would have knowledge of the likelihood of me being able to join with my record. After explaining the events and what was done to me, this individual was very sympathetic and angry over how far the legal penalties went. However, they said that while I could submit an application, as there was nothing to lose, this individual apologetically said that the answer would likely "not just be a 'no', but probably a 'hell no'".

Right now I'm just too angry to continue writing any further on this point and my lunch is almost up. I just wanted to post a quick update. At the moment I'm working on a lengthy post that is intended to be the final post I'll ever be making on this blog, so I don't see any need to post anything further until I've completed that final post.

No comments: